Ever since mobile devices such as Tablet PC’s and smart phones have become popular, Wi-Fi Access Points have become a necessity for our daily digital life.
Wi-Fi hotspots have been deployed at shopping centres, municipal councils, transport venues etc. to provide public with free Wi-Fi access. Besides, many businesses are now providing Wi-Fi access for their customers.
In this article we will look at a scenario in which a holiday park needs to provide Wi-Fi access for guests staying on their premises.
The holiday park has cabins and caravans throughout their establishment, all of which require Wi-Fi access, and the solution will involve a number of outdoor access points to cover the site. Since the weather outdoors can range from cold, windy and wet in winters to extremely hot and dusty during summer months, the access points should be capable of handling harsh outdoor environment, while ensuring reliable high speed Internet access across the premises.
One such access point is DrayTek’s VigorAP 920R Series.
Scenario: Holiday Park Wi-Fi
To provide the holiday park with reliable Wi-Fi coverage, outdoor access points should meet the following specifications:
- Durable weatherproof IP67 rated enclosure
- Sturdy mounting hardware for pole/wall mounting
- Industrial grade components not affected by extreme temperatures
- 802.11ac Wave 2 Wi-Fi
- High gain wireless capability
- PoE powered
- Support for Wi-Fi Bridging between access points
In addition to Wi-Fi access, the holiday park may also require:
- Power and Internet connection for IP Security cameras mounted on the same pole as the access points
- Hotspot capability with user authentication to ensure only holiday park guests have Internet access
- Holiday park web site landing page when Wi-Fi guests connect to the Wi-Fi hotspot
- PoE powered IP cameras
The Recommended Solution:
Following diagram shows a sample layout of the holiday park
The Internet link comes into the main office through a Vigor2862 router. Power is available throughout the park but no data cabling exists, hence access points located throughout the park have to use Wi-Fi Bridging to connect to the main office network and the Internet. In some spots, the access points will require PoE capabilities. In addition, IP cameras can be provided with Internet access.
A VigorAP 920R located at the main office is configured as the Wi-Fi Mesh root for the other VigorAP 920R series access points located throughout the park. These AP’s also provide PoE power for the IP Cameras.
Recommended Product Details:
1) Main Internet Connection – DrayTek Vigor2862 Router
The Vigor2862 is a VDSL2/ADSL2+ Security Firewall router which is equipped with an RJ-11 DSL port and a Gigabit Ethernet WAN port in addition to two USB ports are designed to support 3G/4G/LTE USB modems for Internet access.
The Wi-Fi network will be connected to the Vigor2862 router to provide Internet access for park guests. The comprehensive firewall and content security management (CSM) ensures that the local network is secure from potential data security breaches. The user management features allow only guests of the holiday park to enjoy free Internet access, while the hotspot feature directs users to the holiday park web site for visitor information, etc.
2) DDrayTek VigorAP 902R/RP/RPD (Wi-Fi Mesh Outdoor AP)
The DrayTek VigorAP 920R Series access point is designed for outdoor applications providing high-performance wireless connectivity in harsh environments. Featuring an IP67 rated enclosure and industrial-grade components, it can withstand wind, rain, snow and tolerates extreme operating temperatures between -40°C and 70°C.
Furthermore, the 802.11ac Wave 2 compliance ensures fast and reliable connection even in a high-density network.
The VigorAP 20RP/RPD includes a PoE-Out GbE Port which can be used to provide power and network access to devices such as IP security cameras for monitoring the surrounding areas. An IP camera can be mounted near the access point and only a single UTP cable would be required for connection to the access point.
Wireless Bridging Between Access Points:
Since it’s a challenge to run UTP cables from the main office to each access point due to distance involved, we will link each access point to the main network using wireless bridging.
DrayTek VigorAP 920R Series boasts of large coverage areas of upto 200-metre radius due to its high gain antennas. At a distance of 150 metres typical Wi-Fi speeds are 8.95 Mbps on the 5 GHz band & 27 Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. Hence placing access points closer to each other will ensure higher Wi-Fi speeds as well as better coverage.
The VigorAP 920R series supports Wi-Fi Mesh technology, where each access point can be auto configured from the mesh root. This technology is ideal for covering large areas where it’s not possible to install structured network cabling. In addition, the Wi-Fi Mesh will self-heal in case an access point fails by automatically reconfiguring the remaining access points to re-route connections.
Wi-Fi Mesh allows up to 8 units to be wirelessly interconnected as a Mesh group to provide extended wireless coverage
Setting up the Wi-Fi Mesh network is simplified using built-in Quick Start Wizard in the access point or through a Smartphone app available from DrayTek. This app is available from both Google Play Store and the Apple App store.
DrayTek Wireless App
Use the DrayTek Wireless app to quickly set up and monitor the Wi-Fi Mesh from your Smartphone or Tablet.
This DrayTek wireless app is available from DrayTek website:
This app is available from both Google Play Store:
and also from Apple App store :
Auto-provisioning and configuration of the main router and access points can be done by the DrayTek VigorACS 2 central management system.
Dashboard view gives the network administrator an overview of key status of the holiday park network. If any alarm occurs, the network administrator can be alerted to ensure timely rectification of any issues.
Each access point can also monitor environmental conditions such as internal temperature and humidity levels, and alert the network administrator if any thresholds are exceeded.
VigorAP 920RPD (Wi-Fi Mesh Outdoor AP)
Outdoor 11ac Wave 2 Dual-Band PoE Access Point with Mesh technology,
2 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports with PoE PD & PoE-PSE support and
2 x 5GHz Directional Patch Antennas
- Ruggedized outdoor PoE Access Point for harsh weather and environments
- IP67 Rated Dust & Water Resistant
- Concurrent Dual-band 802.11ac Wave 2 with 2×2 MU-MIMO
- Wi-Fi speeds up to 867 Mbps for 5GHz band and 400 Mbps for 2.4GHz band
- Multiple operating modes – AP, Mesh, Bridge, WDS and Universal Repeater
- Plug-n-Play Meshing
- 2 x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports with PoE-PD & PoE-PSE support (RP/RPD model)
- 4 SSIDs with unique VLAN setting, Access Control, and Bandwidth Limit policies
- Features AirTime Fairness and Band Steering for better Wi-Fi user experience
- Built-in RADIUS server for 802.1x authentication
- Improves roaming experience by Fast Roaming & AP-assisted Roaming
- Supports both stand-alone and controller-based setup
- Supports VigorACS 2 (Central Management System) for remote management
- Supports VigorConnect software for remote management Learn more
- Wall or Pole Mountable
- 2 years back to base warranty